Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Intrinsic

A person’s sense of well-being relates directly to the connection they feel with the environment in which they live.

My home is an intrinsic part of who I am and I am an intrinsic part of my home. I believe that a person’s life is given meaning by what creates them and what they create. Memories and experiences of creation and growth give meaning to the surrounding physical elements as well as to a person’s own sense of self. My shift from my rural home to the city has highlighted this for me. My sense of dislocation is clearly explained in the following quote by Jean-Jacques Rousseau “… of all the things that strike me, there is none that holds my heart, yet all of them together disturb my feelings, so that I forget what I am and who I belong to.” Urban environments are a façade that disconnect people from a meaningful understanding of who they are. With over population forever feeding urbanization, it is of paramount importance that designers understand the significance of urban environments and the meaning they hold for the people living in these environments.



Adriaan Geuze, founder West 8, states that “Traditionally buildings are used to give meaning to the city. I think that role can increasingly be assumed by landscape.” West 8 are deeply involved in tackling the issue of urbanisation. Living in New Jenfeld is a 2005 design by West 8 for a new urban structure in Hamburg, Germany. It proposes row housing arranged around “romantic public spaces” , as well as an “educational function for young children” about water. The description and images appear to have all the ingredients of an aesthetically appealing and eco-friendly design. Where is the meaning in this for the people who live there? West 8, in this case, are just designing another urban template for people to move into; taking away the mutual connection and evolution between the inhabitants and environment.











Main References:


Secondary Source: Marshall Berman, “All that is Solid Melts into Air”. Published by Penguin Books in 1988
Primary Source: Jean-Jacques Rousseau novel: “The New Eloise”
http://www.metropolismag.com/story/20051219/adriaan-geuze-landscape-architecture-urban-planning

http://www.west8.nl/about_west_8/

“Colonizing the Void” by Hans van DDijk, Adriaan Geuze, Edzo Bindels, Jeroen Musch. Published by NAi Publishers, Rotterdam




Image References:

“Colonizing the Void” by Hans van DDijk, Adriaan Geuze, Edzo Bindels, Jeroen Musch. Published by NAi Publishers, Rotterdam

http://www.west8.nl/about_west_8/

No comments:

Post a Comment